Thursday, June 10, 2010

Other Ways Of Expression

Fashion is for expressing yourself with out words. It’s about making a statement. Every one I know expresses their individuality through what they choose to wear even if they’re not trying to. Expression can be a very powerful tool and how you look can change someone’s opinion about you in an instant. There is no doubt about it that I am all about being loud and colorful with what I wear but lately I have been thinking about other ways of expression that has to do with being aesthetically pleasing to yourself as well as others.

Body modification has become very popular. You can hardly leave your house with out seeing someone with a piercing, tattoos, implants, nose jobs or muscles that would not have been possible with out steroids. The list goes on and on.

Tattoos and piercing became very popular in the early 1990’s and just became a spreading fad.

It is almost weirder now to be clean and in tact then it is to have some sort of hole or ink.


There are extremes of everything. Extremes in fashion such as the new fashion icon and my personal favorite Lady Gaga. As well as extremes in body modification such as the cat man.


I am not completely advocating such intense extremes because it does hit a point where it gets addicting and obsessive. I do advocate making yourself aesthetically pleasing to yourself though and if that means muscles that bust out of shirt, piercings that go down your entire back or high heels so tall you can hardly walk then go for it!


I have a few piercing and I have to say, with every one I feel slightly sexier even if no one can see it. It’s about feeling good about yourself and exuding that happiness. I have friends with tattoos that are hidden under clothes but when they reveal them to you they are beaming ear to ear.



(My nape just got done, I love it. Dont worry, it isnt red like that any more. That was taken right after it was done. My friend Carol got the bird on her back for her 19th birthday and it looks so beautiful.)

Body modification might seem like a younger generation thing to do. It may seem like a passing fad but if it makes you feel slightly more confident when walking out the door, just like a short skirt may do, then go for it!

10 comments:

  1. Are you familiar with ACEN? If you go to my blog and click on LouCeel and look at his 6/9/10 post called "More ACEN" you'll see an example. You can get there if you click on "home" at the top, right part of his blog. He had a past blog of photos of folks expressing themselves in all sorts of different costumes at ACEN. Very interesting!
    I'm thinking of a tattoo for my 65th and my initiation to being a crone. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go for it. Do what makes you feel good - as long as what makes you feel good doesn't hurt or harm anyone else. Life is too short to do otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary- go for the tattoo! youre such a hip lady that a tattoo would look so natural on you!
    Leel i check out you More Acen post and i have to say THOSE ARE MY PEOPLE! haha
    i have to say, i do enjoy reading over both of your blogs very much! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very few people will ever see this in person, but it makes me feel like a sex goddess: http://i45.tinypic.com/rkolys.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tess that tattoo is beautiful. there is a house down the street from me with those flowers and they are stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey you're back! I like the piercings I have a few friends with ink there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am back. sorry for the long break. school was becoming overwhelming. What do your friends have?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mostly just designs, but one wants to get an old woodblock or pen and ink style drawing of a crow on the back of her neck...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just did a shoot with a (amateur) model and didn't even notice she had a tattoo behind her left ear. But I can't tell what it is... She had one on the top of one foot as well.

    The camera sees a lot more than the naked eye...there's always little stray threads and hairs to edit out later...

    ReplyDelete