Sunday, April 25, 2010

So Let's Meet Some of the Local Color

So as much as I enjoy big corporation shopping just as much as the next person, my parents have always taught me it is better to help the small business.

Since my parents own a small company they have brain washed me into always helping the underdog out. Recently I have become interested in small local artists who do really interesting and cool work.

I recently learned about a young woman who was in my circle of friends who I had never met personally but who did really intriguing work. Her name is Jessy Cashin-forrester and she is a wild gal with excellent style. I emailed her and let her know I would love to purchase something of hers.





She got back to me immediately and eagerly and wanted to get together to find out more about my personality to mold the piece to me. I told her I wanted lace and bones and that was all I cared about.

A few days later she presented me with a necklace she had made especially for me. I loved it. She is charging me $35 for it. I haven’t paid her yet because I am a little short on cash and she is completely relaxed about it and trusts I will get it too her when I have the money. Now I am sure you cant get that kind of service from American Apparel.

Here is some of her other work that I could find pictures of.

<--









Next on my list of local artists is a girl named Genevieve Hildbrand-Chupp. She painted these shoes for our mutual friend Lauren.

She will charge me around $30 and I have to provide her with white canvas shoes. I am so excited to have her paint them. Laurens turned out so wild and unique.



If any one knows people who do really riveting work like these two women you should let me know. I am always on the look out for new items to incorporate.


-Katy

7 comments:

  1. The left shoe is quite awesome actually...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hate to get all spammy but didn't see a PM link anywhere... one of the (amateur models) I worked with makes these- she's down near Monterey though.

    Similar stuff to what you posted.

    http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/58/l_bb0e35480d5645ec862544f5c893a281.jpg

    Photo by me :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that you are looking at local artists. Despite the fact you are having a hard time paying Jessy, I think a struggling artist should charge more. (I know. I know. That statement is not in the best interest of my daughter's checking account.) Jessy spent hours creating the design, sterilizing the bones, creating the unique necklace. Genevieve, too, has a unique, one-of-a-kind pair of shoes. I hope the artists can make enough in order to live out their passions of life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dave-id: not spammy at all, no worries. Wow i really like that hair clip alot, does she have other work you could send me? its beautiful.
    mom, thanks...not really helping me out but i see where you are coming from. youre a cutie pie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi

    Here name is Bleu, really cool person.
    So she has a myspace page here:

    http://www.myspace.com/classycadavers

    and I did a shoot with her, she made everything but the sweater and boots in this pic.

    http://flickr.com/gp/basegrinder/A61hx4

    Feel free to look around my other pix...

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lace and bones? How did you come up with that? I love the necklace, though!

    ReplyDelete