Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Fashion Will Save Lives

Have you ever experienced the feeling of falling in love with fashion for the first time? I have. I remember the first real 1960’s dress I bought.

After that, I was hooked. When I was younger I loved fashion and wanted to experiment but I had a weight problem. I wore uniforms in middle school and too stand out I would role up my Lands’ end khakis and put the most outrageous socks on, but that was about it.

I felt as if I didn’t do the clothes justice. I would drool over magazines and wish to be expressive through clothes. I thought I would never be able too and would just be mocked if I tried.

One day I was walking in San Francisco with my dad and walked by this cute little hole in the wall vintage store. Walking in I fell in love. I ran my fingers over all the different silk and polyester. My eyes widened at the site of the vibrant greens, pinks and oranges.

That was when I made the decisions to stop caring if people thought I was too chunky to dress up. I got home and went onto the Internet and found my first metallic 60’s A-line dress. Once I started caring about what I wore, the pounds started to melt off. I needed fashion to feel more confident in order to realize I deserved to be healthy.

Fashion is not only fun, it saved me from diabetes, high blood pressure and heart attacks.

Here is a picture of me when I first got my dress sophomore year. Fantastic dress and pair of go go boots if I do say so myself.











This is me now wearing a pink early 60’s baby doll dress that I got from that store in downtown Palo Alto, Empire Vintage.



This may seem dramatic to some of you, but I feel it did sort of save my life.

Fashion can get you out of your shell.

Well there’s a deeper blog for you.

Until next time fellow bloggers!




-Katy

8 comments:

  1. i feel the same way, i've been skinny a long time but never in-shape. fashion encouraged me to join a gym and when i do go the hypoglycemia disappears as do the worries of it turning into full-fledge diabetes. i kinda like thinking that fashion saved my life! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this blog Katy! I can totally relate. People often ask me how I stay in shape. The reality is I do so because I love clothes first and food second. : )
    Keep on blogging!
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean when you say "This may seem dramatic to some of you...". It's upsetting when people trivialize fashion and characterize it as something superficial and unimportant. I think they don't realize the ubiquity of fashion and its influence. Also, for a lot of people like you and me, it gives us confidence and helps us in ways that most people don't care to acknowledge. It's especially annoying, considering I plan on making a career out of it :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Honestly, this is just a pro-anorexia article. Looks at your behaviors and honestly think about how fashion is "helping" people lose weight. By throwing up and starving themselves. You know its true.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your emphasis on slim AND healthy. Look good in your clothes and feel good about your healthy body- win, win as far as I'm concerned. You look radiant, my lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're rocking the new look. Saw your blog from the Empire site... my friend runs 23 Skidoo in campbell, so you might like that too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you everyone.
    Anon- i'm sorry you feel that way and its sad that you automatically think that.
    Dave-id- i just check out the website and am thinking i need to plan a shopping trip like next pay check for sure. it really looks like my style. if i write a post about it will you show your friend? of course, only if its a positive post. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Katy

    She's got more on the retro items things these days like old lamps, lighters, board games, etc..but still has clothes, new and old. She's one of my photo shooting buddies.

    Easy parking down there on weekends, and a Therapy just down the street. (not that you can't go to the one in Mt View...)

    ReplyDelete